Raleigh, NC asked in Adoption for North Carolina

Q: we have had custody of our 11 year old grand daughter since she was 5 thru a chapter 5 award by the Franklin County,

judge and we have tried to adopt her to ensure she is protected and that she is finacially provided for. We have been told that we cannot do that without the mothers consent. she has made no attempts to stop using drugs or comply with anything to at least get visitation rights. what can we do to move forward without her consent.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: I've responded to your question from later today. Same response would be applicable here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.