Raleigh, NC asked in Adoption for North Carolina

Q: who can talk to us about how to adopt my 11 year old grandchild that we now have custody of. mother will not consent

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If the mother will not consent, then you have to file to get her parental rights terminated. There are 11 grounds which could justify the court terminating parental rights, in addition to determining that it would be in the best interest of the child that the parent's rights be terminated. This is not an easy process and you will want an attorney to assist you. She will be provided an attorney if she cannot afford one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.