Paterson, NJ asked in Traffic Tickets for New Jersey

Q: Off duty and out of jurisdiction officer see's someone speeding and he's in his personal vehicle can he give ticket?

Asking for a friend he was accelerating to get away from traffic and an off duty officer who he didn't know was an officer chased him in his personal car he got nervous and tried avoiding the veichle. The cop was from a different town and was probably out of his jurisdiction as well as not on the clock the cop yield at him saying hey mother f***ker I go to the right lane and slow down i got your plates my friend said the cop took off in an recklessly high speed and left him be hes nervous what can he expect and or do? He works for the port authority and cant afford to lose his license this happened on an active highway and the officer was in his own car

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The NJ cop doesn't need to be on duty or in his jurisdiction to issue a ticket as long as he is in the state of New Jersey. The only difference that it makes is that the ticket must come from the town where the violation occurred. ii your friend can't afford to get the tickets then he needs to hire a good lawyer to try to avoid them. Most of us traffic ticket lawyers offer a free in office consultation I suggest he sets one up as soon as he gets the tickets, assuming he gets them.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.