Gilbertsville, PA asked in Construction Law, Constitutional Law, Environmental and Land Use & Zoning for Pennsylvania

Q: Our development is flooding from heavy rains since a new massive development was added roughly 5 years ago. Any options?

Hello, our development rain water drainage is backing up and flooding our homes since a new development was added next to us down stream of our run off. Our township was told by an engineer that our catch basin would NEVER pass code today and that is overflowing into neighbors yards, pipes can't handle the flow and now that the new development next to us can't handle our water nor theirs?

People are loosing property, damages time from work and now we fear we will be labeled a flood zone. The township we reside in admitted a year ago there are multiple issues but wants to do nothing. They even are lying to new home owners about the issue as well. The township we reside in is pointing the finger at the neighboring township saying it's their fault when we feel both have issues.

I have plenty of video and pictures to share and the township informs new home owners "Sorry that's your issue not ours"....What are our options? Do we have any type of recourse at all with this.


1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: As you and your neighbors already realize, this is a very complex situation. It's the type of matter that if litigated, could drag on for years in court and easily accrue very high legal fees. It would very likely involve expert testimony from civil engineers, architects, urban planners, and other professionals.

To meaningfully address your options, you could start with a consultation with a Pennsylvania attorney who handles complex litigation. It could be worth exploring options that achieve a resolution without costly and ruinous litigation, and in that vein, it could be worth exploring whether government officials above the township level could assist, whether in the way of helping with funding or giving guidance.

If resources could be used to explore engineering solutions rather than protracted litigation, that would naturally be the best outcome. But an experienced attorney could at least outline for you the legal issues that present themselves so you recognize them, and the practical advantages of avoiding litigation if that is a possibility. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.