Pennsylvania Construction Law Questions & Answers

Q: Topic: Pennsylvania Workers' Comp requirements.

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Construction Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Sep 11, 2017
Timothy Belt's answer
Nonsense sounds about right. They may be subcontractors, but if they truly are he should be able to provide copies of written agreements with all of them and proof that they have their own liability insurance. Otherwise, he may want to take a look at the CONSTRUCTION WORKPLACE MISCLASSIFICATION ACT which establishes a definition of "independent contractor" for purposes of workers' compensation, unemployment compensation, and worker classification.

Q: What is a reasonable amount of time for a contractor to complete work? Should I send certified letter to ask for refund?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Construction Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Aug 22, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Yes. But you need to line up another contractor and work to get an extension from the city.

Q: An office building is being constructed on a corner lot, does it have to have an entrance on its address street?

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law and Land Use & Zoning for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Aug 10, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Not that I am aware of but why not ask the township zoning/building permits officer?

Q: Developer started new construction next to the existing building.

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law, Personal Injury and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Jul 6, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Not sure you have one that's worth the cost of bringing.You may be able to break the lease but suggest you contact an attorney who works on tenants rights issues. Contact Community Legal Services, ask for their housing unit, ask if any of their attorneys have gone into private practice and contact that person.

Q: water entering basement via electrical conduit from the outside. House is only 3 y/o. Is developer liable or is it on me

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law and Products Liability for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Feb 4, 2016
Adam Studnicki's answer
A strong letter from a lawyer might help.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to get legal advice and help with your specific...

Q: I want to do some home repairs,am I considered a contractor by PA workers compensation law?

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Oct 6, 2015
Robert Jason De Groot's answer
Don't you think it would be a good idea to check with the local authorities about getting a building permit and finding out if one is required or not?

Q: What is spot zoning and how do we stop it

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Mar 14, 2014
Mark Scoblionko's answer
"Spot zoning" refers to a request that a specific, small section be carved out of an exisiting zoning area and re-classified to a new zoning area to accomodate a new intended use. The name comes from the fact that a "spot" out of an existing zoning area is sought to be changed. If a practice is, indeed, "spot zoning," the practice is unconstitutional. In order to try to stop it, you need to consult knowledgeable zoning counsel and challenge the process in the administrative bodies considering...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.