Atlanta, GA asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Georgia

Q: Can I go after the franchisor if an officer of my corp. fraudulently encumbered my business?

This action arises from the findings of the court AFTER A Divorce case: Wife (an officer only) alters corp docs, tax returns, shares, etc. of my business and then executes a franchise agrmnt as "100% shareholder" with big company - third party w/o my knowledge. (all clearly stated in final decree including that I am "sole shareholder", not her!) Court found that as a result of that franchise agrmnt they can't give me back business. Can I go after the franchisor - third party for - no due diligence, fraud, RICO, since they knew and assisted her in this maneuver? Lots of supporting docs, but no smoking gun like video or correspondence between them. Final Decree is brutal! Deep pockets third party.....local.

1 Lawyer Answer

A: You can try but it's going to be difficult and without all the facts, which you should not reveal on a firum, it's impossible to say whether it would be worth pursuing. I would suggest that you look for an attorney to help you go through the documents and gather any evidence that exists and together you can determine if there is enough to move forward with a suit and obtain discovery powers to aquire additional evidence.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.