Denver, CO asked in Traffic Tickets for Colorado

Q: Speeding ticket with wrong registration address and possible non-protocol officer behavior.

I was ticketed for speeding on northbound CO 93 by a JeffCo sheriff’s deputy. My alleged speed was above the threshold requiring a court appearance. The officer berated me for having out of state plates when he found out I was on my way to work (I am an out of state college student) then proceeded to inform me that my plates did not match my VIN, an issue which was cleared up by my registration papers. The VIN has been corrected on my ticket, however the registered name and address is for a complete stranger. Another concern is that the officer first checked my VIN through the windshield then, without warning, attempted to open my door, which was locked, to double-check. I unlocked the door and he opened it without any verbal exchange. This occurred after I had shown my registration.

As I have to go to court, would any of this be grounds to fight the ticket? The officer told me I have a good chance of getting a reduced penalty plea deal as I have an otherwise perfect driving record.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Greenlee
Jonathan Greenlee
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boulder, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Opening the car door is a non-issue, as you only received a speeding ticket. Even if this was found to be an unlawful search, there is no evidence that could be suppressed related to your speeding charge.

If you are living in state but are an out of state student (paying out of state tuition), you do not need to get Colorado plates or a Colorado license. If you are working in Colorado, you are required to change your plates and license. Sounds like there was a misunderstanding on whether you were working in Colorado or an out of state student. Regardless, the officer being rude does nothing to the ticket.

For the incorrect information, it is a little unclear as to why that happened. If your car is improperly registered, that certainly would not help your case. If the ticket was mistakenly written for a completely different person, it may be worth your time and money to have an attorney review it before deciding if you want pay the ticket and take the points.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.