Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Colorado Traffic Tickets Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: Can a person be charged with “eluding” if the officer never turned on his sirens, lights, or used any other method?
Philip M Smith
Philip M Smith answered on Jul 3, 2021

The answer is no.

The law says "knows or reasonably should know that he or she is being pursued" is the felony statutory language.

"...Who has received a visual or audible signal such as a red light or a siren from a police officer driving a marked vehicle showing...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: How likely am I to have an improper turn ticket dropped if I appear in court if there was glass in my immediate lane.

I was making a left hand turn out of a single lane while leaving my neighborhood at an intersection with a traffic light. The light turned green and I proceeded left into a two lane, but merged into the far right lane to avoid glass near the left hand lane in the intersection. After I passed the... Read more »

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on May 13, 2021

Prosecution has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed a traffic offense----and you have a right (but you do not have to do so) to present a defense. It sounds like you have a defense---I would contact a traffic ticket lawyer or 3 in your area, discuss your ticket and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Colorado on
Q: if I was never pulled over for speeding but was arrested charged for speeding & other charges is this Legal?

Parked at a gas station to pee and cop pulls next to me in my car and get out and goes in store before I get out. But he was looking at my car all suspiciously so I waited. He stands at the door inside the store then comes back out flashing his lights in my car and come and bangs on my window and... Read more »

Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Mar 12, 2021

This sounds like a terrible scenario that you experienced. So sorry you lived through that.

If you were parked and only stopped because of suspicion that you committed a traffic infraction - an infraction for which the officer's story is not credible if he waited a significant amount...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: 42-3-121(1)(b); I have been falsly accused of this charge. Do I need a lawyer for this? If so, how much $ will it cost?

Upon return of my stolen car, the police issued me a plate they said was mine and a piece of paper I was told, "if you get pulled over, just give them this so they know your car was stolen."

I was stopped while walking down by the river by a conservation officer that asked me,... Read more »

Austin Michael Lux
Austin Michael Lux answered on Jan 28, 2021

The charge that you accused of is a class 2 misdemeanor traffic offense. It carries a possible penalty of 10-90 days in jail and/or a fine of $150-$300. Often, the ticket you receive allows you to resolve your case with the payment of a fine. It is also frequently the case that the prosecuting... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: Pulled over for speeding and realized after the officer wrote the wrong violation date, is it realistic to fight this?

I sent a text to my coworkers that I had been pulled over and would be late so I have date and time proof, and I made a quick video of it once I realized what happened but nothing more concrete then that. I also have no way of proving I was sitting at home the whole day on the date he actually... Read more »

Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Nov 25, 2020

Sometimes a ticket or other type of charging document says "on or about" when referring to the date. That means that, if the date is wrong but only off by a day or so, then it's a harmless error. If it's a pretty far off date, then you have a strong argument for defending... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: On a ticket it states that I live in some place in Fredrick, CO. I have never lived there,ever! Is this a void ticket?

The ticket was for expired plates. The address it says I live at is in Fredrick, CO. Not only have I never lived in Fredrick, but I don’t even know where this place is. Is this a void ticket?

Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Nov 25, 2020

This is a tricky one. If you go to Court to resolve this issue, you are conceding that you were the person who received and was served with the ticket - and you will in turn lose any defense you have based on the wrong address. That said, depending upon what the ticket specifically says, you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: Will I get a speeding ticket without being pulled over.

I was travelling over 8mph(33-34 mph is my speed) in a 25 mph work zone. A sherrif was coming in a opposite direction but didnt stop me. In this case, is it possible to get a speeding ticket without being stopped ?

Thomas Cantley
Thomas Cantley answered on Oct 27, 2020

In theory it is possible, but based on what you describe it is very, very unlikely. I wouldn't be worried.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: Is it illegal to block a road? If so, then is it illegal to hit someone blocking the road? Does speed matter?

After seeing the footage of a lady in denver swerving to hit a protester, I wondered what kind of legal trouble that person could get into.

If I am driving on the highway at 65 MPH and someone leaps in front of my car, I would assume I wouldn't be charged with manslaughter. Does the... Read more »

Nelson Patrick Boyle
Nelson Patrick Boyle answered on Jun 2, 2020

There's a "last clear chance" doctrine that says, basically, if you can avoid a crash or if you can avoid hitting the person, then it's illegal. The video you refer to involved a driver who appeared to purposely hit the person. If it can be proved in court that she did so on... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: I got a ticket near Denver, but I lost the paper ticket and don't know what court issued. How can I find it?

I got a ticket in Centennial, CO and I lost the paper ticket. I checked their online database and they don't have an citations for me. I have no idea what jurisdiction issued the ticket, I tried Douglas County Sheriff and Lone Tree and nothing. How can I find out who issued the ticket so I can... Read more »

Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh answered on May 20, 2020

If you were issued the ticket within the Centennial city limits (that can be determined by an online search for a map of the boundary lines of Centennial), then the ticket was filed either with the Arapahoe County Court or, more likely, if it was a minor traffic violation, the City of Centennial... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: I have 3 Court Clearance Required I know I missed court in Denver but idk about Aurora and Douglas? Any advice?Whattodo

Can it be unpaid fines? What’s the consequences of this and missing court for driving w no license i need help please I will hire an attorney I just need help

Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh answered on Mar 8, 2020

Call the court clerk in the Aurora Municipal Court and the Douglas County Court and ask them for about the clearances you need. In the typical situation they are called an OJW fees.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: What should I expect for a careless driving summons?

I passed a car without using blinkers in downtown Denver. When I was pulled over, the officer said that I was in the 2nd lane, passed the car in front of me by using the 1st lane, and then merged right to the 3rd lane without blinkers. Shocked that this was incorrect, I said that I was actually... Read more »

Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh answered on Feb 22, 2020

What you should expect depends on whether you want to fight the ticket in trial or plea bargain the case. If you decide to fight the ticket, you should have an attorney. The prosecutor will be an attorney and you will be at a disadvantage. The judge will expect you to follow the rules of procedure... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: I received a traffic ticket and the time on the citation is incorrect and I have proof I was Elsewhere at the time.
Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh answered on Jan 27, 2020

When you raise an alibi defense, you are claiming that it wasn't you who committed the offense because you were someplace other than the location of the offense charged. From your question it sounds like you are considering raising what would amount to an alibi defense. The problem in your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: In Colorado, can I go go the DMV to get a state ID or drivers license without being arrested if I have a bench warrant

Failure to appear bench warrant.


License not revoked

Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh answered on Jan 21, 2020

I am aware from past cases that DMV may check a person for warrants. I can not say that they do it routinely. If they do find a warrant they will contact local law enforcement.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: Got pulled over driving my brothers car without registration or insurance. Should I register and get insurance?

Should I buy insurance and registration before court?

Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh answered on Jan 20, 2020

Your brother needs to register the car and get insurance for it. Proof of proper registration and current insurance is what you need to take to court and is what will help you the most.

It is doubtful that you could even register the car or obtain insurance for it since it does not belong to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: I was given a traffic ticket for a ticket I never had any officer contact with. Is this a legal ticket?
Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh answered on Jan 13, 2020

It is likely that the ticket is legal, but more information is needed about what happened before a helpful answer can be given.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: i received a speeding ticket in commerce city, co. the ticket was missing my physical information.

i got a 12pt speeding ticket now waiting for a court date by mail i received a motion to amend the missing information and it was granted what should i do next

Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh answered on Jan 12, 2020

Now that the ticket has been corrected, it is like any other ticket. You go to court and see what sort of plea bargain the prosecutor will offer you. You can hire an attorney to represent you. Once you know what the prosecutor's final plea bargain offer is, you will need to make a decision -... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: Mandatory court summons for speeding and I've moved out of state. How to resolve this without going to court?

I got a mandatory summons for doing 77 in a 55 zone in Commerce City, CO. I moved to CA state the week after this happened. I got my court date and I can afford to pay the fine but traveling to CO is a hassle and I cannot afford that. I don't have any other moving or non-moving violations. Is... Read more »

Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh answered on Jan 11, 2020

You can hire an attorney to appear on your behalf. The attorney will ask the judge to waive your appearance.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI and Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: Chumped up charges and abuse of jurisdiction?

Can evidence be suppressed when cops find lrg capcty mag in a closed box doing invntry 2 tow?Following an at fault accident I wanted to go over to check the people in the car I hit, I was getting out of my truck but this guy is blocking my door "stay put budy, stay put". He wouldn't... Read more »

Mark Ryan Thiessen
Mark Ryan Thiessen answered on Jan 6, 2020

They need a valid arrest to search the car. Once they arrest you, they can inventory the car to make sure they document everything in there to keep it safe. This is going to be a very fact intensive suppression issue.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Colorado on
Q: I live in Colorado and am attempting to resolve outstanding NJ traffic tickets. Can you help, or must I be present?

These tickets are 6-8 years old and all of a non-moving violation nature.

Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh answered on Dec 23, 2019

Because the traffic tickets are out of New Jersey, you need to contact an attorney who practices in New Jersey, specifically in the jurisdiction where the tickets where issued. They will be familiar with the applicable court practice and procedure for taking care of old unresolved tickets. They... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Colorado on
Q: I was in an accident and received a citation for careless driving. What are my chances of pleading for a reduced charge?

I was riding my motorcycle and crashed into pickup truck in an intersection. I was given a mandatory court date at El Paso Combined Court for careless driving. I have a clean driving record up until this accident and was respectful and polite with the officer who issued the citation. I was the only... Read more »

Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh answered on Nov 10, 2019

Most prosecutors will offer a point reduction based on the facts you describe - clean driving record, no injuries (I assume), your respectful attitude to the officer, etc. While there is no requirement that the prosecutor offer a traffic infraction plea bargain, that is commonly what happens.... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.