Essex, MD asked in Child Support for Maryland

Q: Money owed to me for child support was used by the enforcement agency to pay an economic assistence debt. Is that legal?

I am not aware that I have any economic assistance debt. I am owed $2591.69 and noticed there was a drop of about $1700 so its down to $891.69 but I have not received any payments. Last payment was in June.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dawn Renee Gould
Dawn Renee Gould
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You're only recourse is to talk to your agent at the enforcement agency, DSS, social services. Everyone is assigned an agent. If you don't get anywhere with that agent then ask to speak to the supervisor. If you don't get anywhere with the supervisor then ask to speak with the Director. Go there in person and ask to speak with them. Whenever anyone is or was receiving Temporary Cash Assistance then the money is paid to the State first. At some point the State was paying you and so now the State is being paid back. Physically go talk to your child support agent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.