Duluth, GA asked in Estate Planning and Elder Law for Georgia

Q: Hello, my mother has Alzheimer's disease. Does any part of title 19 pertain to her?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jay Braddock Jackson
Jay Braddock Jackson
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fredericksburg, VA

A: You’ve not really given enough information to tell. Title 19, as you probably know is commonly called “Medicaid.” This program is intended to pay for medical care for people who don't have enough money to pay their medical bills. While your mother is not “entitled” to Medicaid because of the Alzheimer’s per se, she may otherwise qualify as a Medicaid recipient.

Nursing home care is only one type of care paid by Medicaid. If your mother qualifies, Medicaid will pay for her nursing home care and most of her costs while she is in a nursing home, including doctor visits, medication, meals, diagnostic tests and equipment.

The rules are complex, however, and they vary by state somewhat. When your mother applies, Medicaid will look at her assets. If her assets are too high, she may not qualify. She may qualify for Medicaid if she has less than $1,600 in countable assets (cash, bank accounts, stocks, and bonds), a pre-paid burial plot, a pre-paid funeral contract, term life insurance with no cash surrender value, or cash value life insurance up to $1,500.

Her income is also limited. You can keep a small amount of income to spend on personal needs. This amount changes every year and, again, it varies by state, so best advice is to check with an elder law attorney in your state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.