Toms River, NJ asked in Car Accidents for New Jersey

Q: Does 39:5-51 and being a victim in a motor vehicle accident give grounds for pursuing legal action?

For example, if another driver was at fault, is the victim allowed to show up to court to press charges. Is the victim allowed to press charges based off the fact that they were attending work, missed out on hours, suffered injury, emotional distress and a loss of their vehicle.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If you're looking to press charges for example in municipal Court you do not get money. If you're looking to get money and wages back you need to file a civil lawsuit in civil court. I suggest hiring a good lawyer if you're looking to do this, most of us offer a free in office consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.