Asked in Elder Law for Arkansas

Q: I have power of attorney of my grandmother. My family from MO came and took her. They got a lawyer and changed her power

Of attorney and turn her over to the state of MO. How is that right ? I have letter from DHS in AR stating that I was taking good care of her. I still do not know where she is they will not tell me!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick R. Lee
Patrick R. Lee
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: If she is in Missouri, you will likely have to file something in a Missouri court to get control of this situation. She would have had to have been competent to give them power of attorney, and if she was and did so willingly, there's not much you can do about it.

It all depends on her capacity to give someone in your MO family power of attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.