Anchorage, AK asked in Family Law and Civil Rights for Alaska

Q: My 19 month old was taken without notification an unfounded. How do I get her back now?!

My 19 year old daughter took my 19 month old for an overnight visit she went to OCS and she said the father and I are on heroin which is unfounded and a lie we both have random UA's for different reasons. him-Court reasons and myself-my doctor. it is a completely false allegation my daughter just doesn't like my fiancé. OCS is broken every rule by not notifying us or anything else we need help to get our baby back

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: Call OCS (269-4000 if you're in Anchorage). Give your child's name and ask to be connected with the assigned social worker. You'll probably get voicemail, so leave all your contact info and let him/her know you have not received notice. If you don't reach the social worker quickly, call again and ask for the worker's supervisor. Leave the same information with him/her.

Next, go to the Children's Court desk. In Anchorage it's in the basement of the Nesbett Courthouse downtown (the one with the Totem Poles out front). Give them your child's name and birth date and ask if a Petition has been filed. If so, ask for a copy and the date and time of the next court date. Tell them you want to request appointment of an attorney. You'll have to fill out an application that requires financial information, so have that info with you. It'll take a while for the attorney appointment to be granted, and more time for the attorney to contact you, so spend that time trying to connect with the social worker. Be prepared to take all your documentation (UA results, etc.) to the social worker whenever they're available. This will take lots of time and energy, so clear your calendar and arrange whatever support you will need from family and friends. Think of all the resources you can use to reassure the social worker that you're clean and that your child will be safe. Be prepared to negotiate a safety plan with the social worker, if necessary. If that doesn't work, prepare to go to court with your court-appointed attorney.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.