Lafayette, LA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Louisiana

Q: My sons fathers left 9 yrs. ago and wasnt required to pay child support due to collecting SS. If I file can he get right

My ex collected a check due to his mental instability. He didn’t bother to take me to court for custody and I avoided him due to a restraining order that I had on him at the time, due to his abusive tendencies. He hasn’t tried to reach out in 9 years, but I’m worried that if I try to file for child support again, they’ll grant him custody. I don’t trust him nor his family around my son due to old drug habits and their histories of violence. I also don’t find it fair that I had to struggle for years to support him by myself until I got married.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: When you open. Up the issue of child I'll ld support you always risk that custody will be opened again.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.