El Cajon, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: Can a public defender redact a police report.??.

i seen the public defender last thursday i asked for copy of police report said no problem to call him later.I did but got no answer for days .So today i went to court house to find him .Said he had redact the report before i could have one.. Is this legal?? sounds like he is tampering with the report. thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ghazal  Sharif
Ghazal Sharif
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Pleasanton, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In a criminal case, usually the part of the file of most interest to the client is the police reports. There is nothing forbidding defense attorneys from releasing these reports to the defendant (either during the representation or afterward), but in California we cannot include the address or telephone number of any witness in any document discovered to us by the prosecutor. That is, we must redact this information out of the reports prior to releasing the documents to the defendant. If we fail to do so, we commit a misdemeanor. Even should the client choose to represent himself, the addresses and telephone numbers of witnesses may not be disclosed to the client. Rather, the court must appoint a qualified private investigator to help the self-represented defendant and order that witness contact information be released only to that investigator.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.