Dallas, TX asked in Contracts and Civil Litigation for Texas

Q: How do i go about suing a storage facility over my unit?

I have a storage unit that went into agreement in April 2017 but then went delinquent in Dec 2017. My ex called and used his debit card to bring it up to date payment wise, but the owner if the facility took my name off the agreement, replaced it with the cardholders name, changed my lock and now is denying me access to personal belongings still in the unit.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick

A: It is obvious to many experienced lawyers reading this that you and your ex and the owner of the storage unit are in an unfortunate triangle that will probably not end well--for you. If a judge were deciding what to do they would probably agree with the owner of the storage unit that you violated the original agreement when you abandoned the unit--and all your stuff--by not paying the monthly rent since December 2017.

Our imaginary judge would also probably agree that your ex--having (apparently) paid all the past due rent for your abandoned unit and (no doubt) signing a brand new enforceable rental agreement in his name only--did nothing wrong either.

Finally, the only remaining issue is largely a personal dispute between you and your ex about "denying you access to your personal belongings still in the unit." However, our imaginary judge might think more kindly if presented with a lawsuit enforcing the obvious "bailment" issue here. For more about that you will need to hire a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.