Phoenix, AZ asked in Divorce and Family Law for Arizona

Q: Since I do not contest any of the orders in the petition, do I need to still file a response?

My husband had me served with a petition, but I do not contest any of the orders. We already have a final divorce decree being worked up.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: If you are absolutely sure you agree with each and every order in the petition, the only downside to not filing a response would be a delay in being able to file your consent decree. Your husband can file for default if you do not respond within 60 days. 60 days after that the two of you can file your consent decree. Filing an answer could shorten the timeframe by a few days but would incur the filing costs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.