Easton, PA asked in Estate Planning for Pennsylvania

Q: Question about quit/claim deed.

My parents have house in Florida. My dad died. My mom would like to add myself to her deed. Would I have to pay inheritance tax on this property? My mom also has it in her will the house is mine. She also wants to continue her insurance policy that would be grandfathered to me as well as long as my name was already on the deed. The previous deed was my grandparents using assignment of Proprietary Lease with joint tenants that is how my parents acquired the property. Is that the same thing as a quit/claim deed? Please advise.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sarah E. Manning
Sarah E. Manning
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • West Chester
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: To advise on the Deed used for the Florida property, it would be best to consult a Florida real estate attorney. Does your mother reside in the Florida house or does she live in Pennsylvania with just a second home in Florida? Additional information would be needed to provide an accurate response. Generally, there are pros and cons to being added to a Deed for real estate as opposed to passing the property to you through the probate process. I would suggest also consulting with a Pennsylvania estate planning attorney for both yourself and your mother (assuming she resides full-time in PA also). Some of us provide free consultations so you are able to select the attorney you feel most comfortable with. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.