Waxhaw, NC asked in Tax Law for South Carolina

Q: South Carolina IRS audit - IRS requesting Medical receipts and records that i don't have ( have some but not all)

Tax audit - 2 years item being reviewed (high deductible medical and pharmacy). don't have all the receipts. i do have the bills (30K plus) to substantiate and can account for atleast some ( approx half or so) of the deductible in year 1..and maybe 1/3 in year 2 of the returns being audited. Medical Bills are for LPR parent we took care of ( did not have insurance and was self pay)

Tax year in question is 2016 and 2017. I did notice the error in deduction filed in 2017 while working on 2018 taxes...so i filed an extension to filing my 2018 taxes, so i could first work on amended return for 2017. but State audit flagged my previous returns.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: I recommend that you hire a tax attorney to represent you. They may be able to help you reconstruct your records.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.