Clearwater, FL asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Florida

Q: Does length of employment have any bearing on an unpaid wages/wrongful termination/retaliation ?

I am left without legal representation because the attorney I hired removed himself from my case two weeks before the statue of limitations expired after I was persistent in my desire to go to court after almost a year of unsuccessful negotiation attempts. I have not been able to get another attorney to take my case even though my rights were clearly violated and I have documentation to prove it. It's as if the case has somehow been tainted. My lawyer accepted a falsified evidence and never even questioned it. Employer sent a paystub for money I never received and for a pay period dated after the day I was fired. I am owed almost $2000. My attorney tried to tell me I was not entitled to any damages because I only worked there for three weeks. I was fired on my day off via text mssg, after going to pick up my first paycheck and texting my boss about the discrepancy.I was on the schedule for the following week posted earlier that day so there was no intention of firing me before then.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Since you took the time and trouble to ask this same question twice, I will take the time and trouble to give you the same advice I gave before:

"You are confusing administrative limitations with legal limitations. Moreover, please be advised that an employer's failure to pay correct wages is not actionable as employment discrimination unless you have evidence that the employer failed to pay you the correct wages because of your gender, age, race, religion, national origin, marital status or disability. Since you have alleged none of these "protected classes" the most probable reason why your lawyer did not help you file an EEOC charge is because you have no employment discrimination claim. At best all you have is a contractual dispute that you can bring yourself in a small claims court."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.