Clearwater, FL asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Florida

Q: How can I file a charge against my employer to get my unpaid wages?

I was fired from my job via text message immediately following my text to my boss asking about a $2000 discrepancy in my first paycheck. I hired an attorney a month later to help me recover wages. He sent a demand letter and my former employer refused to negotiate a settlement and to this day has not using me my wages. After 9 months of refusing to negotiate, I asked my lawyer to proceed with litigation because I felt it had been long enough just to determine my employer was not interested in paying me. He wanted more time to try and negotiate with my employer so I gave him another month. At the end of the month, he said no settlement offered and proceeded to dump my case. He never filed with the EEOC or any state agencies and now the statue of limitations passed about a month ago. I didn't know until the end that my attorney didn't do anything to help me. I would like to pursue myself in court but what can I do now that the statute has just passed? Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You are confusing administrative limitations with legal limitations. Moreover, please be advised that an employer's failure to pay correct wages is not actionable as employment discrimination unless you have evidence that the employer failed to pay you the correct wages because of your gender, age, race, religion, national origin, marital status or disability. Since you have alleged none of these "protected classes" the most probable reason why your lawyer did not help you file an EEOC charge is because you have no employment discrimination claim. At best all you have is a contractual dispute that you can bring yourself in a small claims court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.