Sacramento, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: How can I get guests out of my home that I own that refuse to leave?

This property where I live was gifted to me by a woman with whom I lived here with for many years. The deed was put in my name by her in 2007. She passed away in 2010. A little less than two years ago her daughter and son-inlaw showed up here from out of state. They have been trying to stake a claim on the property. They feel that the property should be theirs intead of mine. They have settled into my home and are treating the property as if it were theirs. They reap havok with my freinds and relatives and tell others that the property is theirs. They have gone as far as to say that I should do the right thing and move on so they can enjoy their property that should have never been mine to begin with.

I have lived here for 22 years. I'm not about to go anywhere. I'm not going to sign over the property either. I need to know how I can set them straight and get them off from my property.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gerald Barry Dorfman
Gerald Barry Dorfman
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Mill Valley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Talk to a landlord tenant attorney about an eviction action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.