Fountain Hill, PA asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for Pennsylvania

Q: If I want to design a stick such a stick would be for youth what sort of parent would I need and how would I go about it

I have the perfect idea because my son is a coach and many youngsters have given him ideas how do I go about it ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Pittsboro, NC

A: A good place to start is to look at patents for analogous products. That will help you understand what is already patented and how much effort it takes to secure a patent. My slides at will give you some tips on patent searching using free tools.

The patent process is not cheap. Given that the patent examiners start out with a default answer of no this idea is an obvious recombination of already known features from other products, there can be a fair amount of expense after the patent application has been filed.

Depending on the nature of your invention and the level of resistance from the patent office, it can easily cost more than 15K to get a broad patent. Sometimes you go partway down the path and end up with no patent at all. So it is a big decision for an individual to seek a patent.

If you found this answer helpful, you may want to look at my answers to other questions about patent law are available at the bottom of my profile page at

Kevin E Flynn

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.