Philadelphia, PA asked in Adoption for Pennsylvania

Q: If rights are terminated and daughter is adopted by foster family can i adopt her in the future if agreed by foster?

My rights were involuntarily terminated and want to know if i turned my life around in the future can i adopt her if her foster family agrees to it. The bond is there and my daughter loves me and wavered between wanting to be with me and wanting to be with foster family

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roy L. Galloway III
Roy L. Galloway III
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Harrisburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: There is a lot of missing information that may be pertinent to provide a complete answer to your questions such as what were the reasons your parental rights were terminated- was there abuse, neglect, drug use, illness, abandonment, etc. Also, the age of the child is a relevant factor because children 14 years of age and older has standing to object to an adoption.

Nevertheless, I will provide you with my answer. Based on the information you provided, it is possible that you could adopt the child, particularly if all parties, including the child, are in agreement with the adoption, and the court is convinced that the adoption is in the best interest of the child.

Moreover, in Pennsylvania adults can be adopted after the age of 18 and you do not need the adopting parents' permission to adopt your biological child after he/she turns 18.

As such, you may in the future adopt your biological child while he/she is still a minor or after he/she reaches the age of majority.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.