Q: The building codes dept condeamned my house without notice to bring it up to code. They came on my property without perm

Is it legal. My kids are disabled. They are not giving them time to come in compliance nor the opportunity to come up to code although there are other properties as bad or worse. Would this be harrassment and what can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: It is not harassment. But you must hire a competent attorney to file a Writ of Certiorari in Chancery Court immediately to enjoin and declare the administrative action illegal. After reading the Codes, you might complain to the City or County Codes Office, but it will be futile. You must act quickly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.