Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Tennessee Gov & Administrative Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Tennessee on

Q: Can I be exempt from jury duty if I am self-employed and under an hourly contract with a client?

I would forgo approximately $800/day of earnings, which cannot be regained while serving as a juror. Since jury duty typically pays up to $50/day, this loss of income would present a hardship, especially with prolonged service.

Bennett James Wills answered on Aug 5, 2019

You would need to inform the court of this - not sure if it would be a sufficient reason to get out of jury service.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Gov & Administrative Law and Juvenile Law for Tennessee on

Q: my friend is 22, lives in TN.. she has about 4-6 friends who are between the ages of 14-17 can she go to jail for that?

a close friend she has who is, i believe is 15, his mom knows how old she is and everything..

Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq. answered on Aug 3, 2019

It is not a crime to be friends with minors. Did something else happen?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Tennessee on

Q: The building codes dept condeamned my house without notice to bring it up to code. They came on my property without perm

Is it legal. My kids are disabled. They are not giving them time to come in compliance nor the opportunity to come up to code although there are other properties as bad or worse. Would this be harrassment and what can I do?

Anthony M. Avery answered on Jul 29, 2019

It is not harassment. But you must hire a competent attorney to file a Writ of Certiorari in Chancery Court immediately to enjoin and declare the administrative action illegal. After reading the Codes, you might complain to the City or County Codes Office, but it will be futile. You must act... Read more »

Q: Hello, I currently bought land and the owner before stated the septic tank was on the property.

A week after closing my realtor sends me a message from the seller stating they took out the septic tank and I can’t find any documents. Is this legal? And if not how can I go about getting this corrected.

Leonard Robert Grefseng answered on Mar 6, 2019

This is too complicated to answer without reviewing your contact , any disclosures and the closing documents. It may be that some misrepresentations were made during the sale, and if so, you may be entitled to rescind the contract ( give the land back and get your money back) or alternatively, you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Education Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Tennessee on

Q: I am a graduate student who is going to school in TN and I am from FL. In what state am I considered a resident of?

I am renting an apartment in TN and I plan to go to school in TN for 3 more years.

Gary Kollin answered on Jan 23, 2019

You can file a document called a Declaration of Domicile. Check with the county clerk's office

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Gov & Administrative Law for Tennessee on

Q: Can I receive pain and suffering for being injured the steps of a police station (or any government-owned property)?

Mr. James Charles Wright answered on Nov 26, 2018

A governmental entity is responsible for injuries caused by defects in its premises so long as the defect is one that the entity was on notice as to (knew about) or the defect existed and was in such a condition that the entity should have known.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Gov & Administrative Law and Juvenile Law for Tennessee on

Q: My b/f turned18 this year, I’m16. We been dating for about a year. Our parents allow us. Can he get in trouble

he is scared that because he just turned 18 that he will get in trouble. Both of our parents consent to us dating.He is concerned that because we have had sex in the past he will go to jail. Can we get in trouble if there is 2 years between our birthdays,our parents know, I’m not mentally... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery answered on Nov 1, 2018

Yes he can be prosecuted. Somebody will get jealous or mad, and will then turn him in. You will be pressured by the authorities.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Federal Crimes and Gov & Administrative Law for Tennessee on

Q: What to do if a true copy of indictment was never signed two of your cases was dropped. Can you still be locked up.

Indictment was not signed

Gary Kollin answered on Jun 18, 2018

You have an attorney

Why have you not asked your attorney?

Without ALL the facts and other information it would be impossible to advise properly.

It would like going to a doctor solely with the urine test results and then asking how one's health is.

I guess if 2...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Juvenile Law for Tennessee on

Q: foster kid (dep/neg) ran aways after 17, got caught with drugs & ran away again. what happens when she turns 18?

can they charge her as an adult with the drugs, she was 17.5 yo? I think after she got caught it went from dep/neg to delinquent with DCS. she never went to court afterwards bc she ran from the facility....

does she go back to dcs? she will be 18 in a few months, can she stop hiding? She... Read more »

Marjorie A Bristol answered on Jan 22, 2018

If she was charged with a delinquent offense, she can face juvenile court consequences until she is 19. If she wasn't charged, she still could be. She should contact an attorney to see if the charges can be resolved. She should also know that anyone who is helping hide her from DCS could face... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Gov & Administrative Law and Family Law for Tennessee on

Q: What can I do if the DCS says that I failed a drug test. But when my Dr. did a blood test it came back negative.

They took grand kids out of a perfectly good home, has not been helping find a place to house the children.

Marjorie A Bristol answered on Jan 4, 2018

You should hire an attorney to represent you. If you had another drug test that came back with a different result, then the court and DCS need to know. If you had custody of the children or want custody of the children, then you really need a lawyer to help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.