Piedmont, SC asked in Estate Planning for North Carolina

Q: Can I live in my fathers home while I am determined executor of his small estate to keep up the property

He had no will and I am his next of kin. I am just waiting the 30 days to open the estate. I didnt know if I could live in the home to keep up the property while in this process.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If your father lived in NC at the time of his death, then you don't have to wait 30 days to apply to be the Administrator (Personal Representative) of his estate. If you have a key, you may go there and you may live there if it helps to keep the property in good shape. As Administrator, you will be required to make sure nothing happens to the property until the estate is closed, if the property needs to be sold to cover the debts of the estate.

Nina Whitehurst agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.