Snellville, GA asked in Contracts for Georgia

Q: I financed a car in 2014 but stopped making payments on it in 2016 when it stopped working. Can they sue for whats owed?

The car was picked up by the original loan company once I notified them I was not paying on a car that doesn’t work. Now the original company has sold my loan to this new company and they are filing suit against me trying to garnish my wages.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Sure. You owed money for a thing and then stopped paying for it. Typically, they can sue within four years.

Make sure that you get credit for the repaired value of the car, minus the cost to repair, as part of your debt.

You might also make a deal with the new company to pay a portion of the debt.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.