Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: I have been raising my two girls for the passed five years with little to no help from their abusive father..

Now I would like to leave state and he is threatening me. I have a restraining order on him and he has charges for DV. Do I have the right to take them with me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rich J. Peters
Rich J. Peters
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Are there any Court Orders in place? IF SO, then Arizona does have a "relocation" statute which must be reviewed as compared to your situation. I would need to know more to determine whether such requires notice, etc.

If there are NO Court orders in place, then the relocation statute does not apply. HOWEVER, it is still wise to review the situation with an experienced family law attorney so that you don't leave yourself vulnerable to an emergency order requiring the children's immediate return.

Please come in soon. We can certainly help you consider and then pursue your options for relocating.

One of our attorneys can explain the issues and procedures better in person. As you can imagine, there is too much to cover via email. We offer free ½ hour consultations, in which we can discuss your matter in detail.

Please call or email my assistant Maddy to schedule your free ½ hour consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.