Kansas City, KS asked in Family Law and Child Support for Oklahoma

Q: My child’s father lives in NYC and I live here. We agreed $650 a month since birth but now that I filed its $290?

This can’t be right. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hans Otto Lehr
Hans Otto Lehr
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: There are many reasons why the child support amount can change. There may have been a change in income for one or both of you, the obligor may have additional child support obligations out there and/or the obligor may be receiving some other credit which reduces his or her amount owed. There is no way to tell for sure without a lot of additional information. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what amount you guys have "agreed" to pay. The State of Oklahoma uses a spreadsheet to calculate the amount that actually needs to be paid. Please contact a family law attorney licensed in Oklahoma if you have any more specific questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.