Fresno, CA asked in Contracts and Small Claims for California

Q: Can I sue a friend? We had a verbal agreement that he'd fix up my truck for 3,000 but it's been months.

I did pay him cash so I feel like it would be hard to sue him. I originally paid him 1,5000 about 6 months ago. I want to take my truck and money back but he seems reluctant to even talk about the situation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick

A: Sure; in America anyone can sue anyone else at any time—even without a lawyer in small claims court. Winning the lawsuit is another matter. If you decide to sue you should be prepared to pay the filing fee and then pay another hundred bucks or so for service of process. Caveat: If a court of law finds your claims to be frivolous or without factual or legal foundation you may end up having to pay attorney fees and litigation costs to the person or entity you sued.

Finally, you must now that suing your friend will instantly make them a former friend.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.