Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Arkansas

Q: How do I know if my fiancé signed away his rights to his child. Arkansas

The custudy papers say the mother gets sole legal and physical custudy. It also states that his signature could be used in a single parent adoption he does pay child support.

1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick R. Lee
Patrick R. Lee
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Unless his parental rights have specifically been terminated, he can probably still go back to court and prove a material change which would warrant him getting some visitation.

It depends on the specific language in the last custody order. If he wants to have visitation with the child, he should consult privately with an attorney to see how likely that is and what he'd have to do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.