Antioch, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: does my dad have any rights he's been living in a place over 20 years he's always replaced everything because landlord

Says if i have to replace IT I'm raising the 20+ yrs. No new carpet dads bought all the major appliances several times first major prob leak pipe 'll fixes n then evic notice taped to door 60 days get out dads handicapped and has 20 yrs of stuf to pack n move where???????

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pahoua C Lor
Pahoua C Lor
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Fresno, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If a tenant has lived at a place for more than a year, the landlord must provide them with a 60 day notice. The landlord, owner, is able to recover possession for his property so long as the landlord does not violate laws. The basic idea is that a person can get back what rightfully belongs to them. For example, if he is evicting because your father complained too much about repairs, that may be considered retaliatory. If the landlord decided that he no longer wanted to rent to your father because of his race, sexual orientation or something similar, the notice may be considered discriminatory.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.