Laurel, MS asked in Criminal Law for Mississippi

Q: Can I get a Grand Larceny felony in MS dropped to a misdemeanor?

I want to join the NAVY. Im 28 (Joseph Lee Creel). I caught a Grand Larceny, 1st offense, non-violent charge in 2012. Got 4 years, 2 to serve & 2 on probation. Violated by not reporting. Sent back to serve 2 years of which I flat-timed (100% completed). Can I get this lowered to a misdemeanor so I can join the military? I have my Gold seal. I was discharged from MDOC May 4th, 2018. No parole, no probation. Done. Please help. I was 22 when this occurred. Occured in Laurel, Ms 39437. I need this lowered so I can join the NAVY. Thankyou.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: It sounds like you were already found guilty, or at least pleaded guilty. If that is the case, then unfortunately, you do not qualify for it to be lowered to a misdemeanor. You may be eligible for it to be expunged; however, you will have to wait until five years after all terms and conditions of your sentence are completed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.