Manteno, IL asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Illinois

Q: My mom claims that she signed a document in Alabama that will not let me move out until I'm 19.

I live in Illinois now and I want to move out when I'm 18. What I want to know is if even though I turn 18 can she still stop me from moving out legally or if I can move out without her consent?

1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Once you're 18 years old you're legally an adult. You can move out without her consent unless you are developmentally disabled and she is your court-appointed guardian. This is rare. You would know if this happened since the court proceedings would have been within the past year and you would have been formally served with the court papers.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.