Havre De Grace, MD asked in Divorce for Maryland

Q: I am in MD and my husband left, moved to SC. Just found out he married a woman there. We are NOT legally divorced.

We are still legally married. His new bride has no idea. What recourse do I have?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jac E. Knust
Jac E. Knust
  • Columbia, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: His new marriage does not terminate your marriage to him. I am not licensed to practice in South Carolina but I would be willing to bet that bigamy is a crime in South Carolina as it is in Maryland. Your husband has potentially violated the criminal laws of the state of South Carolina and perhaps another state if he was married elsewhere. I suppose you don’t know where he married this new woman. Your marriage and your rights are not terminated in any way.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.