Minneapolis, MN asked in Sexual Harassment for Minnesota

Q: My 11yr old son sexually touched my 5yr old niece he is going to have court and I don’t know what to do.

I understand he did wrong but he is only a child too and I’m scared of what the court decides. I feel like I need a lawyer maybe?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Juvenile delinquency proceedings in Minnesota are similar but different from adult criminal proceedings. The basic procedure (discovery, plea bargaining, trial, etc.) apply, but younger juveniles often have better opportunities for rehabilitation and to avoid future problems. But to get a fair shake, an attorney may be a good idea. Attorneys like myself offer free consultations on juvenile delinquency matters throughout the state of Minnesota.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.