Bellflower, CA asked in Bankruptcy for California

Q: My chapter 7 discharge is more than 10 yrs old, I'm just receiving a NFR, is this possible and what do I need to do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Theodore Allan Greene

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: A notice of Trustee's Final Report indicates that the Trustee is filing a required report stating how the money/assets that the Trustee recovered were distributed. The Trustee is required to report to the Court regarding all assets and the manner in which they were distributed. Why the Trustee is doing this after 10 years suggests there were some issues that had to be dealt with first.

You should immediately check with your Bankruptcy attorney to see if you need to do anything.

Harlene Miller

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Irvine, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I agree with my colleague - highly unusual for a Trustee to file a final report after such a long period of time. May have been overlooked, or perhaps there was something going on in the case that the Trustee was monitoring. If you were represented by an attorney, check with your attorney on this - perhaps he can obtain information that will explain it for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.