Berlin, CT asked in Real Estate Law, Family Law and Probate for Connecticut

Q: My husband bought our house in his name prior to us getting married. Would I have rights to it as wife if he dies?

My husband bought our house in his name prior to us getting married. We have not added my name because we want to use my name to qualify for fha loan. Will keep home so investment property shen we eventually buy new home. As the wife, even without my name on the property, do I have rights to it in the event of anything happening to him (passing)? I am in Connecticut

1 Lawyer Answer
Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Newtown, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: That is a common question. If your husband died, the house would pass through his estate. If he has a will that says you get all of his assets, you would get the house after the Probate process is complete. If he does not have a will, the house and all other assets will pass to his heirs at law. Who the heirs at law are depends whether he has children, living parents, siblings, etc. The best way to ensure that you get the house after he dies is to ensure he at least has a will, if not a living trust, which leaves the home to you. An attorney that practices Estate Planning law will best be able to advise and assist you with this planning.

Matthew A. Wiley agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.