Jackson, MS asked in Probate for Mississippi

Q: What rights does estranged husband have after wife's death

Mother in law passed away 7_23_19

She found out in June 18 she had cancer

Her husband left her for someone else

They were not divorced at the time of her death. Her son ( my Husband) took care of her after her husband abandoned her

What should my Husband do?

The estranged husband is trying to get the house that they had together

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: Take your mother-in-law’s will and a copy of the deed to the house to a Mississippi probate attorney. If there was no will, just let the attorney know. A lot depends on whether there was a will, how it was written, and how title to the house was held, so no answer can be provided in this forum

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.