San Francisco, CA asked in Real Estate Law, Elder Law and Probate for California

Q: I am the Conservator of The Estate. How can I legally gain access to enter my conservatee's home?

I have a court order to gain access, LAPD did not want me to enter because I would be in harms way although she was not violent she had barricaded the doors & windows, 3 officers pushed the door open 12", APS said I do not need to gain access she looks fine & does not want me in the house. I was there w/plumbers to install & repair bathrm facilities. There are no working toilets in her home. Two attempts w/LAPD, APS over 3 days w/no results. 2 plumbers 1hrs work was all we needed. Instead over 7 hrs of essential services wasted. Conservatee has mental health issues, is 66yrs old, does not speak & is a hoarder, looks like a homeless person, does not bath & the home is in desperate need of repairs. I was shocked when APS said "What's wrong with filthy". The heirs to her estate do not want to pursue the conservatorship of the person.

How can I legally gain access?

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Samuel Price
Richard Samuel Price
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Redlands, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Serve written notice on the conservatee of your request to enter and keep copies. Document the attempts that you make to enter the home and make repairs.

Try a different approach, or send a different person? It may seem a bit heavy-handed to come with police officers.

The conservatee has rights and can properly exclude persons from her home.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.