Cleveland, OH asked in Tax Law for Ohio

Q: Local tax problems. How to find out how much I really owe?

I've been paying local tax for 2016. I paid for 6 months @$138 a month. I received a certified letter that I owe more than the original amount. They're suing me in court. The original amount was $1700. In just 3 months it's over $2600!

I missed one payment and tried working with them. They would not respond to my calls.

They are taxing me at my full wages also. My 401k, health insurance and health expense account (flexspend) are being taxed. These I believe are non taxable.

Now they want all Tax years.

The representative said that a judge could extend payments more than 18 months. I was trying to make arrangements but with no success.

Also, they're trying to say that I lived within city limits when according to my payroll I was living in a township. Townships in Ohio are tax free. If this happens they could say I owe for 2013-2015. With Tax and penalties could add up to $7000.

How to get clarification of debt owed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Englewood, CO

A: You'll want to request your transcripts. Those will show where you were assessed tax, interest, penalties, etc...

I would suggest hiring a professional as this stuff is complex and difficult to navigate.

Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.