Addison, TX asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Arkansas

Q: 25yr old male and 24yo female. Almost 3yr old male child. Respondents are married, resides on paternal 100+ acres it legal or acceptable for Mother of child to be granted ability to live with child and petitioner, her mother, childs grandmother? Same Grandmother designated as supervisor for visits as well as childs maternal grandfather whom has remarried and lives hour and half away. Childs paternal grandfather denied ability to serve as supervisor because this Grandfather, whom has supported and employed childs father, has been a consistent supporter and provider of financial assistance on occasion, has been apart of childs life, at minimum stopping by for quick visit at least 4/7 days of the week since birth of child. Child had spent a total of one week in presence of petitioner and even less so with additional supervisor (childs mother's biological father). Childs father is restricted to a maximum of 2hrs per week of visitation. Child's entire paternal family allotted the exact time for visiting. Paternal family, multi-millionaires, no govt assistance, childcare unnecessary

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick R. Lee
Patrick R. Lee
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: In Arkansas, there is a law that allows grandparents who have spent substantial amounts of time with a child to file for "grandparent visitation." Since the paternal grandfather has spent so much time with the child, it is very possible he may qualify to petition for grandparent visitation which could be greater than what the biological father is entitled to.

I would have to look at the court filings you're talking about. It sounds like the child's maternal grandmother has filed for guardianship, but not totally sure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.