Sacramento, CA asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Utah

Q: so I am just wondering if I should get a laywer for my daughter my only thing is I dont have the money for one well

not a down payment my daughter is 11 years old and is getting charged with a felony and a class b misdominer her and a friend went to walmart and on the way in found a credit card went in used the credit card for like 15 .00 than tryed to pull money out at the ATM witch mind you did not work at the same time stole clothes at walmart and got caught I am not sure what to do she has court on Aug 15th in Brigham city and I can't have my little girl go to dte she has had a rough 2 years witch is no excuse but she lost everything including me she lost her home her mom her grandma passed away and her dad got remarried and everything I mean her world got turned upside down in a matter of 3 months now this. and it happened about 4 months ago and they are just barly telling us now we have court should i hire a attorney and if so witch is a good one and possible pro bono thank you for reading

2 Lawyer Answers

Mike Branum

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Your daughter is entitled to a court-appointed attorney. I am not sure a privately-retained attorney would have much advantage over the public defender in this case.

Hopefully your daughter can get some assistance coping with the losses she has sustained in her young life.

Brent J Huff agrees with this answer

Mr Aric M Cramer Sr.

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • St. George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You need to call a Juvenile law attorney

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.