Hanford, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: we have been without a/c and stove since June. prop mngmt notified, still an issue. do i have a case?

Moved in with a 1 year lease agreement. #1 A/C tech's have been out 6 times, with issues of wasps, and other issues beyond my control, still not fixed. supposed to be here again tomorrow., this issue has been ongoing for 9 weeks. #2 stove was removed on june 14th, had no cooking source for 5 weeks, they have now turned the power on, but not fully funtional as the vent is not connected properly and can only do "light" cooking, this has been an issue for 8 weeks and counting. I have already sent 2 letters to owner via property management. The last one staying I will not pay rent until issues are resolved. I am also asking half months rent credit for each month we've been inconvenienced, with no response from owner.

1 Lawyer Answer
Pahoua C Lor
Pahoua C Lor
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Fresno, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Make sure that your requests for repairs is in writing. You may also consider filing a complaint with the City Code Enforcement Unit. Once a complaint has been filed with Code Enforcement, a code enforcement officer should be in touch with you to take your complaint. From that point and depending on each City, Code Enforcement will get in touch with the Owner and discuss solutions or possibly fine the Owner.

You may also have a justifiable reason to repair and deduct or withhold rent. However, you need to actually speak with an attorney and get more individualized advice before doing so.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.