Marietta, OH asked in Family Law for Colorado

Q: If a parent has moved out of state once they declare residency can they go to that state and change the child support?

Original child support is in Colorado and the mom and child moved to Marietta Ohio. Dad is still in Colorado.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: There is federal law that governs child support modifications. Under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, the action must be brought in the state where the obligor resides. That would be Colorado. The order was also issued in Colorado so there is no registration action required for jurisdiction. You should speak with Child Support Enforcement or an attorney regarding a modification. The legal standard is a substantial and continuing change of circumstances resulting in a difference of plus or minus 10% in the child support amount.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.