Asked in Libel & Slander for Kentucky

Q: What do I need to do to press charges on family for slandering my name

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: You don't press charges. Slander is considered an intentional tort. That means it's a civil matter. You could consult with a Kentucky attorney who handles defamation cases. But keep in mind that these types of cases are generally not handled on a contingency like personal injury cases. That means you could pay hourly fees out-of-pocket, instead of pay-only-if-you-win arrangement. Ask an attorney what you stand to gain from such a case and what it would cost you in the end. That could help you make a decision on where you want to go with this. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.