Philadelphia, PA asked in Adoption for Pennsylvania

Q: My husband wants to adopt my 9 year old child. Her bio- father has agreed to terminate his rights. How do I start this?

My daughter's bio father has not seen her/spoken to her in 7 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: This would be a stepparent adoption. You'll have to file the appropriate petition to terminate his rights and submit the correct document signed by him. And you'll have to file a petition for adoption along with all the necessary forms and documents. You'll probably have to learn what the local Philadelphia Orphans' Court rules are for adoptions as well. You'd do yourself a service by consulting with an experienced family law attorney in your county. This is a complicated process but well worth it to provide your daughter with a bio dad who wants to take care of her as well as love her. have

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.