Severn, MD asked in Child Custody for Maryland

Q: Divorced parents have shared custody 50/50-but mother takes teen less than 50%- can father get full phys. custody?

14 yo teen wants to live with father due to poor relationship w/ his mother. It's a battle each time he is scheduled to go there - and has at times, refused to get in her car. She continues to collect child support but rarely takes her son except for 1 or 2 nights on weekend. Son is registered to attend HS in father's district. Can son have opinion in court as to which parent he resides with full time?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Yes. Hire a lawyer to file for modification of custody and support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.