Carlsbad, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for California

Q: I am a plaintiff. I need to amend my lawsuit to add two additional defendants. How can I do this?

The matter concerns a surety bond. I want to join the surety as an additional defendant, as well as the principal on the bond. The original defendants have not been served because we cannot locate them.

1 Lawyer Answer
James Alan Greer
James Alan Greer
  • Boulder, CO
  • Licensed in California

A: Dear Plaintiff Needing to Amend Complaint: If there is no named defendant whom has filed an Answer to Complaint (which seems likely from my reading of your description) then you are allowed by the Code of Civil Procedure to file a "First Amended Complaint", and the court will accept the filing without additional filing fees, or a motion, or the like. Please note, however, that you will also need to file an "Amended Summons". After both the Amended Complaint and the Amended Summons has been issued by the court, you are free to serve the Surety and the Principal with these two documents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.